Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Breastfeeding

It's saddening to realize that we live in a part of the world that is currently going through an anti-breastfeeding phase. I really hope it's a phase. Almost all the women I've talked to had little or no support when they ventured into breastfeeding. Either no one helped them through the first couple of days by showing them how it's done or at any minor obstacle they were encouraged to stop.
The Medela website states, "Though breastfeeding is natural, the technique is a learned skill and it may take time and patience for you and your baby to master it. As you become more practiced, breastfeeding will become easier and more pleasurable." This is very true.
Without the proper guidance, coaching and support at the beginning, many women opt to resort to formula. Unfortunately many of the cases I've heard about were situations where the mom could have continued to breastfeed.
One major issue with new moms is, "I'm not producing enough milk!" Trust me every mom produces the right amount of milk for her baby. Resorting to formula as a supplement actually makes your milk supply decrease! The only way to increase your milk supply is to let your baby stay at your breast for as long as s/he wants provided s/he doesn't fall asleep at the breast. The way to measure if your baby is getting enough milk is by counting wet diapers. There should be 6 wet diapers in every 24 hour period. I had a calendar posted up on my closet when my kids were born and I would mark each wet diaper on it. That helped calm me down especially when Mimi was an infant. I had trouble with her latching on because she spent the first week of her life in the NICU and they gave her a bottle so we had a hard time adjusting to breastfeeding. But I was adamant about it even through the engorgement, the sore and bleeding nipples, and the tears. We enjoyed a year and a half of breastfeeding after that (up until I was 3 months pregnant with Oullie).
Other common myths are:
- women who have a c-section can't breastfeed
- women with inverted nipples can't breastfeed
Every woman can breastfeed if she puts her mind to it... even adopting mothers can breastfeed! It's all about educating yourself about the subject prior to embarking on it. A book that I found really helpful was: The Nursing Mother's Companion.
On a final note, also from the Medela website, "No formula can duplicate the unique properties of breastmilk, no matter how many vitamins, minerals and supplements are added to what is basically a chemical formulation."Gosh, even formula packages indicate that "breastmilk is the best food for babies"!
Give your baby the best milk.... give him/her breastmilk. :)

P.S. Maybe I should start a breastfeeding support network. Those of you who are interested, please let me know and we'll start something like La Leche.

No comments:

Post a Comment