Saturday, June 20, 2009

Uneventful Subway Rides

Yesterday was the first time I take the subway alone with my daughter. I contemplated not taking her stroller but then decided I wouldn't be able to carry her for long if she was walking and got tired. So, I opted to take the stroller. :) However, I didn't go at the usual time I go with my brother (morning rush hour). I left the apartment around 9:30. Which meant less people were on the commuting down to their jobs. So there was no adventure going downtown.
But I pulled a pretty bad stunt thinking it would be easier to get off at 125th street since they have escalators there. Well, it wasn't because that meant I had to walk 5 blocks uphill!
By the time I got half way to the daycare, I thought I was about to give birth! But I ventured on.. very very slowly. A trip that probably takes a normal person 5 mins, took me 20 mins! I got there eventually and dropped of my daughter. Then grabbed breakfast and headed to Columbia. The weather was perfect for sitting outside. So I sat on a bench by the library. Ten minutes into my meal, I was surrounded by 7-8 birds. I guess that's Columbia's version of AUB's cats!
So, back to my subway adventures... 
On our way back home, I decided to stick to the original plan and catch the 1 train at 116th. I boogied the stroller down the stairs one step at a time. My luck had it that no one was going down at that time. So I did it all on my own. However after I swiped us in and was standing at the top of the stairs that lead down to the platform, a young couple passes by me. Instead of taking the stairs I'm standing next to, they walk off to the other stairs. So, I just shrugged and started strolling down one step at a time. Half way thru, the train arrived! Knowing that I had to make a quick decision, I grabbed the stroller, lifted it and ran down the last 5-6 steps! I must've looked really funny with my belly almost smooching my daughter. But I weighed my options and decided this train looks slightly empty-ish and I wasn't going to take my chances with the next train.
So, that was my adventure, the couple who avoided me by taking another flight of stairs. How considerate!

No comments:

Post a Comment