Saturday, June 20, 2009

The MOMA

I went to the MOMA today. OMG, what an incredible experience! I was greeted by a very nice lady who gave me two flyers, one of the MOMA layout and the other of current exhibitions. She also gave me some really good advice: "Start at the top and work your way down." So that's exactly what I did.
I walked into the first gallery and there it was.... a Cezanne!!! A still life painting of fruits on a table. It brought back memories of the one surviving painting my grandmother drew of peaches in a bowl.
To have been in the presence of such great art, I got goosebumps all over! I was speechless and  I choked up. Seriously if there weren't any people around I would've probably cried! I was so moved. And obviously so were a lot of other people because the way we all came as close as we can to the paintings to check out the details and authenticity was neither weird nor taboo.
As I walked thru from one gallery to the next, I kept my eye out for a Monet. But there was no such luck. That was probably my main disappointment. The other disappointment wast that there was only one Salvador Dali. How could a museum of this importance not contain a Monet and only one Dali? Well as I continued my journey, I figured out why. There were so many Picasso's! They should probably consider changing the name of the museum to "Picasso Museum". Obviously, I'm not a big Picasso fan. However, for the first time in my life, I stood in front of one of his paintings and fell in love... "Ma Jolie"!! I was instantly mesmerized! What a breathtaking piece of art!
Then walking on further I heard a lady explaining a piece of art. She was talking with such intensity that I couldn't help but be drawn in her direction. I looked over peoples heads to see what she was talking about so passionately... and there hanging on the wall was a dark red canvas with an orang-ish line going thru the middle! I don't mean to undermine it in any way.. but I was expecting a Rumbrant or a Chigal!
Unfortunately one of the most eye-catching piece of art according to me, went unnoticed by a lot of people. I was there for a full 5 mins and people just walked through like there was nothing there. I'm talking about Mel Bochner's "Measurement Room". It's nothing more than a small room with measurements written on the walls, like it was something out of an architectural sketch. But it was fascinating according to me!
Another head turning piece was Jim Hodges' "Happy III". It's so simple. Just lines drawn with different colored pencils. The perfect crayola ad!
So, if you're ever in NYC and have three hours to spare (that's how long it took me to go around)... go to the MOMA!


No comments:

Post a Comment